Amateur Radio Service in Germany

German Amateur Radio License

If you got a US amateur radio General Class or Amateur Extra Class license you can apply for a german amateur radio license if you are living in germany. This is not possible for holder of the Technican Class license.

You have to fill out the form "Application for Admission to Participation in the Amateur Service". These form is available in english and german language:

Please notice that you have to check "Application for Recognition and for Admission to Participation in the Amateur Service in the Case of Recognition" on top. Then you have to fill out section A. Do not check anything in section B. In section C check "I hereby apply for recognition ..." and also "on the basis of another foreign radio amateur licence or examination certificate issued in" and write "USA" in the country field. Section D is necessary only if you are underaged.

You have to send the form to the local office of the Bundesnetzagentur in Dortmund including:

  • copy of valid identity card or passport
  • print out of the "offical copy" of your US amateur radio license
  • copy of registration certificate (Meldebescheinigung) issued by the residents' registration office
  • copy of valid residence permit (Aufenthaltsgenehmigung), not necessary for EU citizens

If you are a owner of a German class E license then you have to send the original E-Klasse license to the Bundesnetzagentur. Do not forget to make a photocopy for your records. The cost for the german amateur radio license is 200 Euros. You will get an invoice from the Bundesnetzagentur if your file is in process.

If you will asked for a HAREC (Harmonized Amateur Radio Examination Certificate), ask the Bundesnetzagentur for a manual verification process via the Universal License System (ULS) database of the FCC because the FCC do not send any HAREC confirmations.

US callsign in Germany

Please notice that it is not allowed to use your US callsign in Germany on the air if you got a US amateur radio license and if you are living in germany. In this case you have to apply for a german amateur radio license and a german callsign. Operation via internet remote stations located in the USA is allowed like Remote HAM Radio or EchoLink operation if the location of the connected transmitter is in the USA.

If you have any questions contact the Bundesnetzagentur Au├čenstelle Dortmund
phone: (0231) 9955-260
E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.